Cauliflower is justly touted as a lower-carb, lower-cal stand-in for starchy potato—and these crisp taterless tots are proof! Cauliflower is mashed, then mixed with cheese and given a crispy breadcrumb coating before being baked.
1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), trimmed and broken into small florets
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites, whisked until frothy
3/4 cup coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs (panko)
Canola or olive oil cooking spray
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and boil until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain in a colander. Return the cauliflower to the pot and dry over medium-low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Mash the cauliflower until it resembles clumpy rice. Transfer to a large bowl to cool, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir flour and cheese into the cooled cauliflower. Season with pepper and salt. Stir in egg whites. Line an 8-inch-square baking dish with plastic wrap, allowing the wrap to hang over the edges. Spread the cauliflower mixture into the pan, compacting it into an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the freezer until very cold, 1 to 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
4. Spread breadcrumbs on a plate. Turn the cauliflower mixture out onto a cutting board, removing the plastic wrap. Cut it into 36 pieces. Roll the pieces in the breadcrumbs, turning to coat all sides. Place on the baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
5. Coat the tots with cooking spray. Bake, turning once halfway through, until browned, 35 to 45 minutes.
MAKE AN EXTRA BATCH for the freezer; pop a few out when you need a quick side or snack.
ACTIVE: 45 minutes
TOTAL: 2 3/4 hours
TO MAKE AHEAD: Prepare through Step 4, freeze in a single layer, transfer to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. To bake, place frozen tots on a baking sheet, coat with cooking spray
and bake at 400°F for 35-45 minutes.
SERVES 6: 6 TOTS EACH
Calories 86, Fat 2g (sat 1g), Cholesterol 3mg, Carbs 13g, Total sugars 1g (added 0g), Protein 5g, Fiber 2g, Sodium 289mg, Potassium 209mg.
Recipe credit: NOURISH by Eating Well Magazine. Sponsored by Taiho Oncology.