Pancakes always feel like a treat! But when they’re made with whole-wheat flour, heart-healthy canola oil and just a little sugar, they’re a satisfying “anytime” meal. Try one of the sauces for some extra flavor excitement. Here’s a classic recipe, plus some variations to try.
1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl. If desired, replace up to 1/2 cup flour with another whole grain (cornmeal, oats or buckwheat flour).
2. Whisk wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients; whisk just until combined. (Don’t overmix or they’ll be tough.) For fluffier pancakes let the batter sit undisturbed for 10 to 15 minutes after mixing.
4. Coat a large nonstick skillet (or griddle) with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Pour out three 1/4 -cup pancakes.
5. Cook until the edges are dry and you see bubbles on the surface, 2 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side. Repeat, coating the pan with cooking spray and reducing the heat as needed.
ACTIVE: 50 minutes
TOTAL: 1 hour
SERVES 6: 2 (4-INCH) PANCAKES EACH
Calories 189, Fat 6g (sat 1g), Cholesterol 33mg, Carbs 28g, Total sugars 5g (added 2g), Protein 7g, Fiber 3g, Sodium 388mg, Potassium 145mg.
BLUEBERRY: Add 1 cup blueberries and 2 tsp. orange zest to wet ingredients.
Calories 174, Fat 5g (sat 1g), Cholesterol 29mg, Carbs 27g, Total sugars 7g (added 2g), Protein 6g, Fiber 3g, Sodium 333mg, Potassium 142mg.
APPLE-CINNAMON: Add 1 tsp. ground cinnamon to dry ingredients. Add 1 cup grated apple to wet ingredients.
Calories 176, Fat 5g (sat 1g), Cholesterol 29mg, Carbs 28g, Total sugars 7g (added 2g), Protein 6g, Fiber 3g, Sodium 333mg, Potassium 154mg.
LEMON-POPPY SEED: Add 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds to dry ingredients. Add 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese plus 1 Tbsp. lemon zest to wet ingredients.
Calories 217, Fat 8g (sat 4g), Cholesterol 40 mg, Carbs 26g, Total sugars 5g (added 2g), Protein 10g, Fiber 3g, Sodium 377mg, Potassium 179mg.
PUMPKIN: Add 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice to dry ingredients. Add 1 cup pumpkin puree plus 1/4 cup toasted chopped pecans to wet ingredients.
Calories 201, Fat 8g (sat 1g), Cholesterol 29mg, Carbs 27g, Total sugars 6g (added 2g), Protein 7g, Fiber 4g, Sodium 334mg, Potassium 213mg.
MIXED BERRY SAUCE: Combine 3 cups frozen mixed berries, 3 Tbsp. sugar and 2 tsp. cornstarch in a bowl. Microwave on High until thickened, 4 1/2-5 1/2 minutes, stirring once. Serves 8: 1/4 cup each.
Calories 45, Fat 0g (sat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Carbs 11g, Total sugars 8g (added 5g), Protein 0g, Fiber 1g, Sodium 1mg, Potassium 57mg.
HONEY YOGURT SAUCE: Whisk 1/2 cup honey into 2 cups low-fat plain Greek yogurt. Serves 10: 1/4 cup each.
Calories 86, Fat 1g (sat 1g), Cholesterol 3mg, Carbs 16g, Total sugars 16g (added 14g), Protein 5g, Fiber 0g, Sodium 19mg, Potassium 75mg.
Recipe credit: NOURISH by Eating Well Magazine. Sponsored by Taiho Oncology.