A COMMITMENT TO FIGHT
We are committed to help patients battling lung cancer by providing access to advanced cancer care services including radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and a comprehensive research program in a community-based setting. A board-certified medical oncologist will manage your cancer treatments with a team of highly-trained clinical providers including physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and oncology-trained nurses. Our commitment to holistic patient care includes supportive care services like counseling and educational programs facilitated by our licensed oncology social workers. Our financial counselors are here to assist you in obtaining approval from your insurer and accessing additional resources when possible.
Clinical research trials represent some of the most advanced treatment options. Click here to learn more.
PLANNING YOUR TREATMENT
Lung cancer is a biologically diverse set of diseases, making an individualized approach especially important for selecting the appropriate treatment(s). Lung cancer can be broadly divided into two types: non-small cell lung cancer (more common) and small-cell lung cancer (less common). Personalize medicine has been rapidly advancing in the last 10-20 years, especially in non-small cell lung cancer, and now we’re beginning to see promising new discoveries in small-cell lung as well. Personalized medicine utilizes tests to profile your tumor at the molecular level to estimate the potential benefit from specific chemotherapy drugs or select targeted therapy based on certain tumor characteristics, which can result in fewer side effects and a higher effectiveness rate.
Together we will develop a personalized treatment plan taking into account many factors, including the specific type of lung cancer you have, your age, general health and medical history, your tolerance and preference for specific medications or procedures and the stage of your disease. Staging measures how far the disease has spread from its point of origin (your lungs) and what other organs, if any, are now involved. Non-small cell lung cancer tends to grow and spread more slowly; small cell lung cancer grows more quickly and is more likely to spread to other organs.
After tumor profiling, your personalized treatment plan may include:
- Surgery. Our oncologists work closely with some of the best thoracic surgeons in the region and will be happy to make the referral should surgery be appropriate.
- Chemotherapy, which may be given in combination with (before, after, or at the same time as) other treatments or as the primary treatment.
- Targeted therapies. Unlike standard chemotherapy, which acts against all rapidly growing cells in the body, targeted therapies are designed to interfere specifically with the biological mechanisms driving the growth or spreading of cancer cells.Depending on the specific drug, targeted therapy may be administered intravenously in our clinics or taken orally. One of the newer targeted therapy drugs available to lung cancer patients is the oral pill Tarceva. RMCC was one of the first sites to offer patients Tarceva and other targeted drugs through participation in the pivotal clinical trials that led to their approval by the FDA for the treatment of lung cancer. Targeted therapy drugs may be given alone as the primary treatment, in combination with chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy as part of an all-out coordinated attack on the cancer.
- Radiation therapy. You will have access to the most advanced radiation therapy technology (like the Varian Novalis Tx) and radiation treatment techniques, including 3-dimensional conformal radiation therapy, intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), and stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) as appropriate .
- A combination of the above
AN EXTENSIVE RESEARCH PROGRAM
We participate in clinical trials through US Oncology Research, one of the largest community-based oncology research programs in the United States. Through this network Rocky Mountain Cancer Centers participate in more than one hundred clinical trials that provide access to the latest, most promising drugs and treatments for many types of cancer. We currently have several clinical trials open for lung cancer patients diagnosed at various stages of the disease. As a 2006 American Society of Clinical Oncology award winner for community clinical trial participation, we are proud to provide patients access to the latest therapies and treatment options, including participation in large national studies.